Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Small to you, big to me

Karsen's appointment went really well on Wednesday. First time I've ever been able to say that about a neuro appointment. Everything looked good, so we wont need to see his neuro until early December. What?! 4 months? I don't even know what that's like. We even talked about tapering him off of his last and final drug come December. There is a good chance Karsen could be drug free! I feel so blessed to have a neurologist that has the same views as me. She also agreed she would like to try to take Karsen off of the last drug, something I have heard (from my support group) many doctors resist when the parents ask about it. 
Yesterday, Karsen had a very good therapy day. We went over our usual of motor skills, worked on four point, and worked on sitting (chair like sitting). After that we worked on eating, which as you know has been weighing on me and a huge concern. I wanted to jump and scream when Karsen started feeding himself a rice rusk! You have no idea how happy I was about this. He's still using his thumb as a crutch but that will take time. He already made huge strides in just one day. Then, later in the day, Karsen was sitting play with toys and moving them all from his left side (where I always place them, so he has to cross mid line) to behind his back on the right side. Silly boy he loves to do that. Then, when all of the toys were behind him, he turned him self 90 degrees to get to his toy. Again, I was over the moon.  He's starting the get the concept of moving for things. I have the feeling it wont be too long until we have a butt scooter! He's been doing so good. On top of all this, he is now sleeping through the night. I'm one happy mama! I even was able to get up this morning before anyone in my house was up! That hasn't happened since before Karsen was born. I am so excited to see Karsen scoot across the floor. Go, Karsen!
Here's a little pic of Karsen passed out on the way back from his neuro appointment. He's really been a good road tripper since it ended up being over 8 hours total in the car that day due to traffic. Boy am I thankful to leave in the sticks. Traffic to us is one car on the road, ha.

1 comment:

  1. What on earth is a rice rusk?! lol He doesn't look like he is starving or anything? Very healthy big beautiful boy. :o)

    ReplyDelete