Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Monday, August 20, 2012

Like clockwork

I have been reading on all of my support groups about their hemi kid reaching an age where they would fight through all of their therapy sessions, just for a short period of time. Well, today we must have reached the perfect age for Karsen. Holy smokes! He was so cranky! He was fresh from a nap and fully fed and still was crying over everything. The minute I would pick him up to console him he would stop crying, and immediately after handing him back over he would start crying again. I'm really hoping this will pass soon. It's so not like him. I'm not sure if it's just his age and the phase that he's hitting like every other hemi kid I've read about or if it's because his PT is still new to him. It was really hard to get any progress out of him. We discussed a little bit about constraint therapy... his OT his the one to talk to about it so I'll be talking to him about it more tomorrow. I'm really nervous for constraint therapy. For those of you that don't know what it is, it's when you put the good arm (Karsen's right arm) in a splint or cast so they can't use it at all. It forces them to train their brain to function the other side (Karsen's left). If I hold Karsen's right arm he FREAKS out! He really neglects his affected arm, every PT and OT that sees him always says "he really ignores that arm doesn't he?" Ugh. So yes, we are going to have to do it at some point. There is no way that I will cast his arm. He sucks his thumb and I'm not going to take away his one soother he has for nights. When I mentioned that today his PT said they can do a removable splint. Thank goodness. Let's hope tomorrow's OT session and play group goes better than today. :-/ I hate seeing Karsen all worked up like he was. 
working on knee standing while playing with Karter.

1 comment:

  1. You didn't have an email link on your comment so I'll respond here.

    Yes, please post on FB, that would be great. Thanks for the help!!!

    ReplyDelete