Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Moving along

Just when I was starting to feel like Karsen was stuck.... I should really stop feeling that way. When I do, he proves me wrong just a few days later. I was in the kitchen working on my apple butter and heard a crash of cars dumped on the ground. This is not a new sound to me. If you have a toddler like mine, he loves to dump out his box of toys, my perfectly organized toy area... ha ha. So, I just assumed it was Karter playing with his toys, especially because I put Karsen near an area of toys that was a good 4 feet away from the shelf of toys. Suddenly the cars were smacking into each other, clearly being hit around by Karsen and not Karter. Low and behold, Karsen had scooted himself all the way to the shelf to knock down the box of cars. I was shocked. So what did I do? Clean up the cars and move the box just out of reach for Karsen until he reached it and knocked it over. It did this over and over again until he had moved another 4 feet. Obviously it takes him some time to get to where he's going and he really has to want to get to it. The whole time I was trying to get him to get the cars he was screaming at me. Smart little stinker. He knew exactly what I was doing, and each time I would move it further he would look at me calmly, scream, kick his foot two or three times and then proceed to move toward it. I couldn't help but laugh and feel sad for him all at the same time. I feel bad that he has to try so hard for something that's so easy for kids his age. I also feel bad I have to let him crank it out and listen to him get so frustrated, but I am SO proud of him! His hard work is paying off, I just hope he realizes it. Woo hoo! We have a mover! Go, Karsen, Go!!!!! We've been working on standing and getting up and down, well, of course why just butt scoot in one day? Let's just try to pull ourself to standing! Geez kid! One thing at a time! He was trying so hard to pull himself up with his one arm, I had to help him but he got it with my help. Today has been a big day in Karsen ville.
I'm one seriously proud mama over here!

2 comments:

  1. So adorable. And standing! Wow! That is a milestone. :o) I laughed at the picture in my head of you putting the cars away and sitting there, "Do it again Karsen, do it again!" So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Karsen!!!! Im so proud of you!!! Keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete