Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Monday, September 3, 2012

Joy in tantrums

I've recently become a victim to a full blown temper tantrum 13 month old. I know it sounds weird but it brings a certain amount of joy to see him throwing a total fit. Why? I know, I'm crazy right?! Well, hear me out. Karsen hasn't been able to really truly be a normal baby. To see him through a fit because he can't reach a toy he wants? Yes!!!!! Throw a fit little man. I can see that you understand you want to get it and you can't. My mom and I were spending sometime together the other day and she had mentioned the same thing I had been thinking. She said "It's great seeing him act like a normal baby". She said this when Karsen was doing the typical throw the toy on the ground from you hair chair to see you pick it up and set it in front of him to do it all over again. I'm a sucker. Every time, I bend over, pick it up and hand it to him again to see him do another time. This morning was a particularly hard morning on me. Karter woke up bright and early, claiming he was hungry. Well kid, if you had ate your dinner last night then you wouldn't be ;-) I'm not a small order chef, you know? I was thankful I went to bed early last night. Just a few minutes after Karter was up so was Karsen, ready to start the day. So, I got up and proceeded to make breakfast. Gave my hubby a break and brought him breakfast in bed. (Good wifey points :-) Oh and not to mention coffee too. As I sat down to feed Karsen Karter started demanding every bit of my attention. I don't know what made me crazy, or snap, but constant picking in each ear from each child while my hubby laid in bed oh so peacefully... I just lost it. After fighting it for a few minutes, I put Karsen down for his morning nap early and talked to my husband. After cooled off I had to take a step back and thank God for everything. Thank God for a cranky baby and a testing toddler. Thank God Karsen survived his stroke. Thank God Karter can communicate. Thank God for a supporting husband. Thank God for a roof over our heads. Thank God for my life. We all have moments of ungratefulness. This morning was pretty bad for me. Really?! I started getting mad because of a fussy baby, a toddler that wanted me to make him a ramp and a husband that didn't say thank you enough.... really?! Talk about ungrateful, Jaimie! Geez! Reality check! My life is good. It's more than good, it's perfect. Just as God intended. His plan is so much better than my plan could have ever been. So, I challenge you to find the joy in your child's temper tantrum. I know, easier said than done. But there are so many people that would love to have a healthy child, healthy enough to throw a temper tantrum, or to even have a child. Be thankful, be grateful, be content. Life is too short to dwell on the negative. 
 Look at that lefty hanging on there! 
 Just like any other baby, loves fans.
My handsome big little. Can't believe he'll be three on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment