Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Friday, September 28, 2012

I should learn

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.... Every time I feel like Karsen is stuck at a stand still he does something to prove me wrong. I felt, and so did his OT, that Karsen would never move around on his stomach (crawl, army crawl, that sort of thing). Well, serves me right to say something like that. This morning my little man proved me and everyone else wrong AGAIN. When will I learn? ha I put Karsen on the floor after his nap this morning, on his back. He typically doesn't tolerate being on his back ever since he was able to sit up, that was his position of choice. Karter, being the true big brother, moved all of Karsen's toys just out of reach for him so he couldn't get them. Oh siblings... lol I can't help but think my sister had to have done that to me at some point. Well, I heard Karsen complaining a bit and then looked over and he's scooting himself with his legs, and a little with his right arm, slowly creeping toward the toys that eventually were no longer out of reach. OH MY GOSH! I wanted to jump up and down. Well, actually I think I may have. Wouldn't you? Not only did he do it that once (usually he will do something new once and take another month to do it again.) He did it three other times. I immediately picked up the phone to tell Kuper. It brought tears to my eyes to hear my husbands mutual excitement and also hearing Karter tell Karsen "Go Karsen! You can do it. I know you can.".  *tears* I'm so blessed to have these boys in my life. Good job little man! I can't wait for Mary Beth to get here today so I can show her. I know she'll be just as excited. I tried to get it on video but of course my phone was dead and so is the camcorder. Perfect. Oh well. I'll be trying to get it on video the next couple of days. Riding on my milestone high over here. 
Some sensory fun in pudding
**Therapy tip: it's always good to encourage play in different textures. Very good sensory exposure. I have to let go of my OCD to keep Karsen clean and just let him have fun in it. We also have a noodle bin, a rice bin, and a bean bin. You always have to be present when letting them play in the sensory bins. They are all pretty much a choking hazard. So, keep a close watch and make sure nothing goes in their mouth. I will put measuring cups in, funnels, anything fun to dump stuff in or out of.(Note* this is good for all babies/toddlers. Not just special needs kiddos. Karter loves playing in the bins with Karsen. So make a sensory bin, and let your kiddos have fun) Soon, I'm going to be trying a combined sensory bin, some big chunky things, small soft things all combined in one bin. 

I had someone fill out my questions and suggested I write about my therapy stuff for Karsen. It's funny because I asked a fellow blogger to do the same thing but didn't think to do it myself. Silly. So, I'm going to start putting in more therapy exercises and possibly video tape some of it too (if my camera isn't dead, lol). I would love more suggestions. What are you searching for in my blog? What brought you here? What's keeping you here?



No comments:

Post a Comment