Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Friday, June 29, 2012

Small victories

One subject I want to touch on today is milestones. Before Karsen was born, I had just Karter. Boy were things easy then! I can't help but laugh at people that make it seem like the have the hardest job in the world with just one child that doesn't have any medical problems. I had SO much time for myself when I just had one kid. But I also believe every child should have a sibling. Karter and Karsen are the best things to ever happen to me. They both have taught me so much.... especially Karter being at the true for terrible two's which I believe to be more into the three's....he's taught me a lot about patience. Ok, back on track to milestones. Today, at Karsen's therapy session we were talking about what he can do and how much he's been able to do in just the last week. Weight shifting, balance reaction, Proper sitting, stronger core. These are all things, when I just had Karter, I never saw. I never saw them because I simply wasn't looking for them. I think so many people, myself included before, don't realize how much work it really is for a baby to learn to crawl. Heck, to even sit up. It's taken Karsen a while to master the sitting but he's there, I just still have to leave a pillow behind him just in case he decides he's tired of sitting. We are working on him getting in and out of sitting safely, which knowing what I know now is really hard. But today, after our session, I couldn't help but think "Geez! I took so much for granted with Karter!" I never took the time to notice how Karter would weight shift, I'm sure he picked these things up so easily which is why I never notice, but I couldn't help but feel like an awful mother. I took so much of what Karter was able to do and on track, sometimes even ahead,  for granted. I'm a part of a few support groups, online, which has been a huge help, and one of the things that are continuously posted always sticks with me. *We celebrate the small victories*, because they are so big. So celebrate all the small victories, special needs or not. Take the time to soak in every ounce of your child.

Small victory, Karsen sitting on his shins and not falling over. :-)

1 comment:

  1. He is so adorable! Karsen is going to, is actually already, teaching your family so much. Molly is my kid who struggled... not physically, but with severe learning disabilities. What my other kids just *did,* she couldn't do until much much later...like remember her own phone number or how to spell her last name, repeat the abc's in order...she was probably 9 or 10 by the time these things became even remotely consistent in her life. I have learned so much from parenting each of my kids, but the ones who have struggled have taught me more than anything or anyone else in my whole life and despite the struggles and how difficult times may have been, or sometimes still are, depending on what day you talk to me lol....I am SO grateful for the process. I KNOW that while there are hard days, someday you will look back and be filled with gratitude at the places your boys have taken you.

    ReplyDelete