Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Moving forward

It's been over a week since Karsen started his new medication. As from my previous post, they really affected him the first four or so days. Now, he seems to be more like himself and tolerating them more. As warned by the doctor about the side effects of one medication being appetite increase, HOLY COW! That has hit big time. I've had to start giving him formula because my little body just can't keep up with him (especially with training for a marathon), he's taking 1.5 extra bottles a day a long with one extra serving of baby food. That may not seem much to you but I've gotten his eat routine down, so this is very much out of the norm for Karsen. So far, Karsen has had 4 out of 5 seizure free days. (not consecutively). He hasn't been seizure free for over three months straight. We aren't totally getting our hopes up, but it's an improvement non the less. Because Karsen isn't having the down time of the seizures he's been able to more forward on his motor skills. He's completely transformed from how he was a week ago. This morning he was rolling all over the place, and staying on his tummy for much longer periods of time, along with looking way far up. The biggest thing I notice this morning, as doing our morning workouts (I call them our work outs because I'm usually pretty uncomfortable and Karsen really is working out/building muscle) I sat him side sitting, one foot pointed back and the other toward that knee. He always fights me when I do this, it forces him to try to weight bare, he's only done this twice, both during OT. Well, this morning both hands came down and held himself up fully extended for about 10 minutes. I was shocked and so proud. I'm so glad the seizures have stopped (at least for now) so he can learn and explore. Such a little thing has brought me out of my funk of feeling at a stand still. It's the little things that make a huge difference. I continue to pray that the seizures stay gone. Thank you for all your kind words and prayers for our family, keep them coming ;-). Lets keep moving forward, little man. One day at a time. 
Here's a picture of my little man hard at work.

1 comment:

  1. Awww Jaimie, what a good mama you are. This is life changing and you and Kuper and your boys are going to come out on the other side different, stronger people, who are so aware of what is important in life. Bless your hearts, each and every one of you. I am praying.

    ReplyDelete