Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pip squeakers

Some may say these are annoying but I just love them, pip squeakers. They are toddler shoes that squeak when they step. Karter had a pair which he quickly out grew, so maybe that's why I didn't get annoyed by them. Well, I was digging out Karter's old shoes to see if Karsen could fit in to any of them yet, Karter had big feet so the one pair of pip squeakers didn't fit but I put them on just for fun. Oh my goodness! Karsen LOVED tapping his feet on the ground. Needless to say, I hoped on the internet earlier today to order him a pair that will actually fit. The best part? They are designed extra wide and have room from top to bottom as well for those little ones with chubby feet. We'll be needing the room once Karsen's AFO and SMO arrive. I can't wait for them to get here, all of them, that AFO, SMO, and the shoes. It will be interesting to see if it makes him want to try to walk more. Can't hurt huh? Any of you cp mommies trying to get your little ones to walk, I high recommend trying these out. You can also take out the squeaker later if you like. I got them at pip squeakers
On other news, Karsen has started to tapper off his last medication. He has now decided he doesn't need a morning nap anymore but I'm pretty sure it's because the meds were making him sleepy before. I'm actually quite ok with just one nap a day, two naps in one day makes me feel stuck at home or gives me a very small window to get out and do my run arounds, plus I kinda like spending him with the little stinker. ;-) Karsen's doing great! The eye patching is moving right along, and I can't seem to keep him on his stomach or back anymore. Since he's strong enough to get up from laying down that's all he does now, sit up, all the time. He also is officially full time butt scooting. He no longer just goes in circles, he can now move forward. Today was the first time I saw him really make some movement forward and on purpose. He's been trying really hard to hold his bottle himself. He has to be laying down but he's pulled the bottle away from his mouth and back to it all on his own. He actually will use his left hand to help assist, which he never does. Today at group therapy, Karsen made a huge leap that made me want to jump up and down. He willingly took the spoon full of food and put it to his mouth. For those of you that have kiddos that don't have feeding issues I know it may seem small, but this is HUGE! Karter is such an amazing big brother. Most mornings, while Karsen is in bed with me nursing, Karter will go grab himself a toy car and Karsen one. He come running back to our room and hands the toy to Karsen saying "Here ya go Karsen, let's race." Yesterday, Karter was popping a lolly pop out of his mouth over and over again because Karsen thought it was hilarious. He belly laughed while Karter did it over and over and over again. I'm so blessed to be their mommy. 
Check out this two handed action! So proud of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment