Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Ups and downs

This week has been rough, but it's also been exciting. Karsen is sick, my poor baby. He sounds awful. Super congested, hacking cough, and horse voice. He hasn't been sleeping the best, waking up in the middle of the night, but I'm surprised I'm not feeling more tired. He seems to catch everything. If there is a cold going around, he has it with in a few days. We've been pumping him full of Tylenol and fluids which makes him more comfortable. We've missed all of his therapy this week and haven't been working on much at home since I want him to rest up and get over this. What's really exciting? Karsen took four cruising steps over the weekend! Cruising-holding on to furniture for support, side stepping. He has a hard time side stepping and keeps wanting to step strait forward, I can tell once he's got the balance down he's going to take off. He still hasn't figured out how to pull himself up from his knees to standing. We'll get there, in his own time. Like I've said before, we've been avoiding pushing him this week some can recover first.
Karsen is 18 months old today. Where did the time go? What happened to my little man? We have an appointment with a new pediatrician next week. I wanted to switch his doctor because his current one is a family practice and doesn't have much experience, if any, with kids with cp or IS. In fact I remember him telling me he had never heard of IS before. So, we are trying out a new pediatric doctor. I'm actually pretty nervous about it, not because of the doctor but because he will be getting some catch up vaccines. He hasn't had any yet, and now we have to play catch up. My fear? The seizures will return, which is a possibility. I really don't want those darn things returning, IS rocked our world and sent us on the worst ride of my life. It was a short period of time that I never want to relive. I'll keep you posted.
Tomorrow we are off to Stanford to meet with his ophthalmologist and figure out what's next with his eye. I'm hoping and praying he will be feeling much better tomorrow and be a piece of cake on the long drive there and back. Wish us luck!

1 comment: