Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Budget cuts

Let me start off by saying I hate budget cuts. I really don't understand why it seems to always come out of school and funding for special needs programs. Well, yesterday we got some good news and some heart breaking news. One of the programs Karsen is in, it's an early intervention program (EI), for kids under the age of three that have a developmental delay, got combined into the school system. So as you would know, the school system is getting hit with quite a few budget cuts. I understand money needs to be cut from some where, but why does it have to be from our future? I wont get into that right now, maybe another day. 
Anyways, I found out that we will be getting to see Mary Beth at our play group therapy sessions! Woo hoo! So, since we see here every other week at home that means some weeks we get to see her twice! Now, on the down side? One of the OT's from group therapy got cut from the infant program. When I heard this, my heart broke. She has a strong back round in feeding therapy and has helped me and Karsen through many struggles of eating. She has been with the EI program for 24 years! She is a wealth of knowledge and will be missed greatly. The hardest part about this? No one saw it coming. She was a lot of family's home OT, like Mary Beth is to us. Those families didn't get any warning that they would be switched to a new OT. It takes a long time (at least in Karsen's case) to get comfortable and established with a new therapist. My heart hurts for those families. I started crying to Kuper and told him that I wouldn't know what to do if that happened with Mary Beth. Thankfully, in the skew of texts back and forth with Mary Beth, if that ever happened she'd still come and see us.
 With all of this brought up, I am dreading the day we have to say good bye to the EI program when Karsen turns 3. These people have helped us through some very hard times and have help not only Karsen grow but me as well. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Today was back to reality, back to the old grind. We hit up our OT session with Mr. BO who was surprisingly not smelly (maybe someone gave him a Stink-o-gram), Karter is at preschool, in a few minutes we will be heading to group therapy. It will be bitter sweet. I am so excited to see Mary Beth but also sad we never got to say good bye to feeding therapist. (Tom, Mr. BO OT, is most likely going to offer her a position at our other therapy program, fingers crossed that it works out)

My little man hard at work.(he looks so miserable, right?! ;-))

No comments:

Post a Comment