Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Blocked

A dear friend and her two kids, who are perfect play mates for both kiddos, came over yesterday. Her oldest is just two months older than Karter and her youngest is just three months younger than Karsen, perfect! 
As we chatted we began to talk about how we forgot about this ugly stage we are currently in with our youngest little ones. You know, the one where they throw food, hate diaper changes, and don't understand you when you tell them no? That ugly stage. I think we had both unknowingly blocked that from our memory. In fact, Kuper and I were talking the other day about Karter and how he went through a stage of throwing a complete fit during diaper changes. I mean common, we do this 6 times a day, it's nothing new. But yet they both have done it. I've been so wrapped up with cp talk, sensory issues, behavioral issues that I forgot to even step back and realize that it's typical age for him. I get frustrated at myself for not realizing it was normal. Yes, there are many things that are cp related that he does but some of his things are completely normal. I have put so much pressure on me, and on Karsen to get through certain stages, certain habits that I just assumed they were cp related. This three week break has been just what Karsen and I needed. I needed a chance to step back away from therapy and just enjoy my boys for just that, my boys. We will be back to the grind next week, which is quickly approaching. 
I was bound and determined to get Karsen to cruise (walk along furniture) before he saw Mary Beth that I forgot to let him be a typical 17 month old and just play. So, no he wont be cruising when Mary Beth sees him next, and I have let go of the guilt. He will move at his own pace. I will never get these times back with my little man. He's quickly approaching toddlerville and it's so bitter sweet. Of course, none of this means I am stopping pushing him it just means he too deserves a break. I know he is one smart cookie and he is capable of amazing things, but we all deserve to just play every now and then. And so do you! Ignore the therapy, ignore the dishes, ignore the dishes for one day, heck maybe even two.  In stead, embrace today, play until you drop. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment