Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Friday, November 9, 2012

So blessed

I posted a picture, the other day, on facebook of Karsen trying out a walker at his physical therapy appointment. We are just in the beginning of getting him use to it, so no steps have been taken yet. I didn't expect him to, he takes a while to warm up to anything new. Well, a friend of my sisters (really it's my brother in law's best man of his wedding, his wife, are you following? ha) One of her kids has diplegic cp, in his case I believe it affects his legs only. Ok, let me back up to the picture I posted. Karsen really should have his own walker but with all of the budget cuts he only gets to use one at his pt appointments (which is one hour a week) Really?! How the heck is he suppose to get use to that? Well, long story short, my fb friend commented on the photo saying she has a walker if we need it (ok, these things are quite expensive) FREE! How awesome is that?! She said she'll be sending it out soon. The catch? Just pay it forward when Karsen out grows it. I can't wait until I can do this for someone else. I feel so incredibly blessed to have so many amazing people in my life, small or big, they all have made a huge impact. 


In Karsenville, we have a few pretty life changing milestones. Karsen officially has the pincher grasp! He's starting to really feed himself now! This has made such a difference for me, I'm able to actually get dinner cooked with out burning it or serving it cold. Sippy cups are also in the mix. I think he's almost completely done with the bottle. I know it's weird but this makes me a little sad, it means he's not a baby anymore. When did that happen? He has now pulled himself up to his knees a hand full of times, although he does get pretty frustrated since he can't figure out how to use both hands to pull himself up and get to standing. He's so close. A huge one? Karsen was standing with me assisting him, he took four steps. That's right! Four steps, now granted they were very supported, but the fact that he initiated each step with BOTH feet is amazing! Seriously, this kid blows me away on a daily basis. I'm so proud of him. 


I'm looking into making Karsen a sling for his right arm (non-affected arm), to start doing constraint therapy. He really ignores his hand, if I put something in it he pulls it out with his other hand. I know it's going to take sometime to get him use to is (like the walker) So, once I get it made, I'll be putting it on him here and there when he is distracted and not wanting to play that way he doesn't totally get mad and resist it right off the bat. That is the plan, we shall see. 

To all of you out there, I want to say thank you. You may not know me, you may not be close to me, but maybe that one time you wrote a comment or said something to me in person or wrote something on facebook you may have helped me through that one single day. It may take a village to raise a child but it also takes a village to keep a mama sane. Love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Jesus loves you and your fam Jaimie. LOL Seriously though....and your needs will be met. Isn't that awesome?! I am so glad you are being blessed with that walker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge shout out to Kristie Powell for that walker! Thanks girl! What an amazingly generous world we live in when all we do is look.

    So glad that Karsen is progressing at such a rapid rate! He is such a smart boy! Go Karsen! Now, if I could just get him to say Aunite...lol

    Auntie Stephanie Birch
    Writer Freaks

    ReplyDelete