Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

New pediatrician

On Thursday, we got to our appointment early. I wanted to make sure I was there early to fill out all the paper work. 

It didn't start out so great. Sat in the waiting room filling out the "does your child do this" form, boy was that heart wrenching. Pretty much checked no to all of the questions, maybe two or three were yes. :-( Got seated in our room and proceeded to wait 10 minutes. OK, no big deal, you always wait in the doctors office. In comes the pediatrician apologizing for the wait. She was spending the last 30 minutes reading Karsen's chart and decided it would be better if she just came in and talked to us. Wow, I was already starting to like her. She has me a long list of questions of ALL of Karsen's history. When we got to the topic of medications and vaccines, I warned her that I was a little bit of a hippy. I mean common, my child is in cloth diapers for crying out loud, if that doesn't scream granola I don't know what does. She then responded "Oh, we'll get along great, I'm a total hippy". I was in love. ha I know funny. But you likely know what it's like to have a good relationship with your child's doctor and well.... I was in love. :-) We went over everything. I mean EVERYTHING. She called his neuro, while we were there, to go over his head measurements and a few other things. She checked out the nasty drool rash Karsen had and had a list of suggestions for after it clears up to keep it away (all natural ways of course). We also talked about how Karsen is sick ALL the time, at least once a month. There may be a connection to his constipation issues. Which he has always had. When people are always constipated it can back all the way up to their colon, which can make it near impossible to absorb nutrients. So, we are trying to tackle his constipation issue first, starting him on the biggest baddest probiotic out there.... (It was no joke expensive, thanks again for the fundraiser) and let's hope he clears up and stays healthy. We had a list of blood work to be done to test for a bunch of different possibilities for the constipation also. Lastly, we figured out a vaccine schedule that she and I were both happy with. She was amazing! She spent well over and hour and a half with us, I thought she was leaving another patient waiting, turns out she went into her lunch with us. AMAZING!
 
It was a very good appointment. Couldn't have asked for a better day.... well except for the part where it took three attempts to draw blood, which resulted in us leaving to come back today to make a fourth attempt. Poor little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment