Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Monday, April 30, 2012

Our baby with "colic"





For the first few months of Karsen's life he was so fussy. If he was awake he was crying. We tried everything! We tried colic tablets, gas drops, gripe water. We even tried cutting out eggs and dairy out of my diet, that was so hard and not fun, I felt like I could barely eat anything at all. Eventually, we had an appointment to see the on call doctor since he was sick, again. (My poor baby got sick a total of 7 times by the time he was 7 months old.) The doctor suggested trying  a probiotic to see if it would help his fussiness. But it didn't seem to make a difference. Looking back, Kuper and I have no clue how we survived the first 4-5 months of his life. He would only sleep 2 hours at a time at the most. It made for two very cranky parents. The only thing that helped during the day was the ergo baby carrier. That carrier saved my sanity. But every night as I went to go to bed I dreaded what was to come. I felt like all I could do was pray for patience.... so that's what I did



2 comments:

  1. I don't remember if I ever read this post before, but this s EXACTLY how Carter was...just identical...I have looked for studies, and am more interested to learn, the relationship between extreme fussiness and stroke/CP. hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I've read and heard that there can be extreme neurological pain after a stroke. But I also have read that kids with infantile spasms are really fussy too. My conclusion... any disorder to the brain=a really cranky fussy baby. It broke my heart and was also the hardest 5-6 months of my life! So sorry you had to go through it too. *((hugs))*

      Delete