Our journey through life with hemiplegic cerebral palsy and infantile spasms

Monday, April 30, 2012

Google.... why did I start googling this?

We've all done it. When you don't know what something is... you google it. Sometimes its a relief what we find and sometimes not so much. 


When Kuper and I noticed Karsen wasn't using his left side, I started googling. The first few nights I wasn't finding anything. On the third night I plopped down at the computer and Kuper started googling on his Iphone. (my how technology has changed things) that night was when hemiplegic cerebral palsy first popped up. Kuper had found the same thing. Neither of us were saying a word to each other. Neither of us wanted to be the person to break that bad news and admit something was wrong with our baby. The next day, after we got the boys to bed, we started our nightly routine of googling. That night was the night that forever change our lives. After an hour or so, I sat down in Kuper's lap and told him "I think I know what's wrong with Karsen" and he just said "I know" so, we just cried and held each other. We shared what we had found, which ended up being the same. Everything fit. I just didn't want to believe it was true. 


The next morning, I called Karsen's doctor and asked to make an appointment. When I told them what was going on, they told me the doctor would address that at his check up appointment. His appointment was in 2 weeks. I wanted answers and I wanted them right then and there! For those of you that have been through the ugly process of doctors, referrals, and official diagnosis, it's never an immediate answer. So we waited.... Got in to his doctor who then referred us to a pediatric neurologist. The closest pediatric neurologist we got in with was a 3 hour drive. So, we got a phone call and were able to get in with an amazing pediatric neurologist with in a week. Finally we were going to get some answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment